Did you know giving up smoking significantly increase your chances of living a longer healthier lifestyle, even if you have smoked for 40 years!
It is never to late to think about stopping, it will make a drastic improvement to your lifestyle and health in ways you might not expect.
Benefits of quitting
- After 20 minutes your blood pressure and pulse return to normal
- After 24 hours your lungs start to clear
- After two days your body is nicotine-free and your sense of taste and smell improve
- After three days you can breathe more easily, and your energy increases.
Very Brief Intervention
Have you ever thought of stopping or tried to stop before?
The average smoker could save £140 each month (£1680 per year) by quitting, what would you do with that extra money?
Remember to personalise the benefits. Is the person saving for a holiday, or a new home? Do they have children or grandchildren they would like to runaround with?
State that the best way of stopping smoking is with a combination of medication and specialist support
- Studies show that you are four times more likely to quit smoking if you do it through a specialist support service.
- Services are free and they provide one to one support.
- Local stop smoking services staffed by expert advisers provide a range of proven methods to help you quit.
- Its totally free
Do you think you would benefit from the services your local stop smoking service can offer?
- Call the free Smokefree National Helpline to speak to a trained, expert adviser on 0300 123 1044. All lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 11am to 4pm*
- Better Health quit smoking website which includes information about the benefits of quitting, advice on various quitting aids and a local stop smoking service lookup tool
- NHS Quit Smoking App (Apple) or NHS Quit Smoking App (google/android) - a 28-day programme that provides practical support, encouragement, and tailored clinical advice on your mobile/tablet. Includes a savings calculator so you can see how much money you're saving.
- Get a free Personal Quit Plan Quitting smoking is easier with the right support. Give up for 28 days, and you're 5 times more likely to quit for good – get your plan now!
- You can also speak to your doctor, pharmacy team or local Stop Smoking Service for expert advice on stop smoking medicines.
- Download the NHS Quit Smoking app from apple or google/android
- Get further information from the National Health Service www.nhs.uk/quit
- Consider using e-cigarettes to stop smoking
- Get daily email support - If you would like some extra support, you can sign up for 28 days of stop smoking advice and tips – delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for email support
- Find your online community - You do not have to do it alone – join others going through the same thing in a friendly and supportive environment. Join the Quit Smoking Support Group on Facebook
Emphasise that quitting will the best thing they will ever do and the NHS Smokefree service can provide the friendly and helpful support they need to quit for good
Local Support and Contact Details
Yorkshire Smokefree Barnsley
Yorkshire Smokefree provides expert NHS advice and support for anyone who wants to stop smoking. So when you're ready to quit, we're ready to help. Our friendly experts will help you find the best way to quit and provide support throughout your journey, so you're smoke-free in no time.
Tel: Landline 0800 612 011 or Mobile 0330 660 1166
In Bradford district there are lots of options to help you quit smoking from GP surgeries, pharmacies and also our Living Well Advisors. They all offer a free, personal service that helps you to quit using the method that’s right for you including prescribed stop smoking medications. They can also help with stopping smoking in pregnancy.
Yorkshire Smokefree Calderdale
Tel: 08006120011 or Mobile 03306601166 (FREE from most mobiles)
Request a call back, Live chat, Quit online, In person, Telephone support
You are 4 times more likely to quit smoking with the help of our stop smoking service
Smokers in Doncaster can choose to pick and mix their support from:
- Face to face support in a local and convenient quit shop.
- Telephone support from trained advisors, available seven days a week with extended opening hours.
- Online support using Yorkshire Smokefree’s innovative online quit tool which is available 24/7.
Tel: 0800 612 0011 or Mobile 03306601166 (Free from most mobile phones)
Stop Smoking in Pregnancy & Beyond telephone number is 01302 876290
Smoking in Young People telephone number is 01302 640032
Your Life Doncaster
This website provides resources for you to look after yourself within your own community; focusing on you keeping well, safe and connected.
East Riding Integrated Lifestyles Service
Healthier Futures programme
Stop Smoking for good with the help of our FREE 12-week programme. We’ll support you at every stage with group sessions, a dedicated app, and even free nicotine replacement therapy.
Tel: 0330 236 9102
The Healthier Futures programmes are provided by Xyla Health and Wellbeing. We’re part of the UK’s largest healthcare solutions partner, Acacium Group. You can rely on us to help you achieve lasting results through our positive, personable approach backed up by clinical expertise.
Our free programmes in East Riding can help you and your family make positive changes to lose weight, achieve heathier lifestyles, and quit smoking.
Each of our expert-led programmes has a different approach. We want to make sure you’ll be well-informed from the start of your journey.
SmokeFree Hull offers free advice and support for those looking to start their stop-smoking journey.
All interventions are tailored to need and delivered in community settings by SmokeFree Advisors and Specialist SmokeFree Advisors.
If you live in the city and want support to quit smoking please contact us.
Tel: 01482 977617
The Wellness Service supports adults 18 years+ on a one to one basis to develop personally tailored health and wellbeing goals. All of services are free of charge. You can Refer to the Wellness Service if you are a healthcare professional who needs to refer someone, or would like to refer yourself.
The Wellness Service can help with:
- Improving mental health and emotional wellbeing
- Achieving a healthy weight
- Managing long term conditions
- Developing self-care approaches
- Wellbeing support for carers
- Increasing social contact and community engagement
- Becoming more physically active
- Smoking cessation
- Reducing drinking
The Service also facilitates group sessions for healthy weight (healthy eating advice and information) and smoking (support to stop smoking). These sessions are for people who need help, support and guidance to lose weight and stop smoking in a safe and supported manner.
For more information please visit https://kirkleeswellnessservice.co.uk/
Leeds Stop Smoking Service
Stopping smoking is one of the best things that you can do for your health. The Leeds Stop Smoking team is dedicated to helping people improve their health and wellbeing.
The team provides clinically credible support and are trained and equipped with the latest techniques and knowledge to help you succeed. With their support, people make sustainable change that will help them improve their wellbeing, become healthier and reduce their chances of developing illnesses. It's never too late to quit.
Create your account and get started straight away. You can immediately download free resources for quitting by yourself, join the online support community or book for support from an expert Health Coach.
Tel: 0800 169 4219
The Wellbeing Service (North East Lincolnshire Council)
The council has trained advisors that can provide help and support tailored to your needs. Several thousand smokers have quit with the service over the last few years with more than half of the people making a quit attempt managing to do so successfully.
Tel: 01472 325500
North Lincolnshire Healthy Lifestyle Service
A team of friendly and knowledgeable Healthy Lifestyle Facilitators will support groups of people wanting to focus on the following:
- Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight
- Stopping smoking
- Reducing alcohol use
- Being more physically active
- Increasing wellbeing, including mental and emotional health
- Training around health and wellbeing for those people who are interested in becoming trained as health champions
- Signposting to wider local supporting services
Tel: 01724 298212
Living Well Smokefree
Living Well Smokefree has a team of advisors who have plenty of experience in helping people to stop smoking for good. They will see anyone from the age of 12, have community based locations across North Yorkshire and can arrange home visits for people who have mobility issues.
Tel: 01609 797272
If you are pregnant and would like to quit, you can access the service yourself or ask your midwife to refer you. You will be offered a choice of a home visit or an appointment in a clinic if you prefer.
Living Well Smokefree offers personalised, one-to-one support over six to 12 weeks. For as little as 30p a day* you can get:
- access to a dedicated Stop Smoking Consultant;
- a supply of either Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) or Champix; or
- local weekly one-to-one sessions.
* Based on one quit product per person who pays prescription charges. The products are free to people who do not pay prescription charges.
Get Healthy Rotherham
The new Integrated Lifestyle Service “Get Healthy Rotherham” can support residents of Rotherham to stop smoking, undertake an NHS Health Check, reach and maintain a healthy weight or effectively change their lifestyle to be more healthy.
The service is free and can be accessed via:
Tel: 01709 718720
Yorkshire Smokefree Sheffield
A permanent stall in Sheffield Moor Market that works via drop in or appointments 6 days a week.
Tel: 0800 612 0011 / 07833 048200
Yorkshire Smokefree Wakefield
Our advisors are on hand to answer any questions or provide additional support as you need it.
Our opening hours are as follows:
Tel: 01924 252174 / 0800 612 0011
CYC Health Trainers
CYC Health Trainers successfully support people to stop smoking. CYC Health Trainers run group and individual support sessions across York. If you would like to stop smoking please contact us for information about groups near you. We also take referrals from health care professionals.
Tel: 01904 553377