The Covid-19 vaccination is a crucial part of our efforts to overcome the pandemic and start to return to normal life. Without a vaccine there will always be a risk that new outbreaks of the disease will emerge.
For the most up to date information visit:
Key points about the vaccines:
- They are proven to reduce the chance of people suffering from severe Covid
- They have been through all the same careful safety checks as other vaccines we routinely use (even though they were developed very quickly)
- Most side effects of the Covid-19 vaccine are mild and should not last longer than a week, such as:
- a sore arm where the needle went in
- feeling tired
- a headache
- feeling achy
COVID-19 3 'A's Tool:
This tool is to help practitioners and volunteers have short conversations (deliver very brief interventions) with people to encourage uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine. Some members of the public may be hesitant about receiving a vaccination. This tool helps us to handle conversations with such people.
- Getting the conversation going
- Using questions and reflections to get the person talk about what they feel
- Building understanding and assessing how you might help
- Deciding what information to offer
Once you understand the person’s views and feelings
- Offering appropriate information and advice
- Ensuring it’s personalised, tailored and appropriate
- Clarifying next steps
- Strengthening person’s intention/plan to get vaccinated
- Booking an appointment / Signposting to further info or GP
The 3 ‘A’s approach is a simple structure for conversations to help them flow. It also ensures we listen to peoples’ concerns, reassure them and, as a minimum, keep them open to the idea of getting a Covid-19 vaccine.
The South East Making Every Contact Count & Vaccine Uptake group* have produced 2 resources to support anyone who may be talking with others about having the Covid-19 vaccine (e.g. frontline practitioners, volunteers, community and faith leaders, Covid-19 champions):
Resource 1: Talking about having the Covid-19 vaccine video (10mins)
A training video to support asking the right questions, keeping the conversation person-centred and focused on the benefits and motivation of having the vaccine. It draws upon skills developed in Making Every Contact Count training.
Resource 2: Talking about the Covid-19 Vaccine signposting resource
Useful links to information to help you when talking about having the COVID-19 vaccine. The links are grouped into sections to make it easier to find the relevant information for different conversations. Sections include: About vaccines; Effectiveness of vaccines; Faith and Covid-19 information; Other languages; and a lot more.
The resources can be found on the HEE page by clicking here.